Monday, September 14, 2009

Shakespeare in Love


Last night I watched Shakespeare in Love again.

I didn't see it when it first came out, but I watched it about four years ago when I was working on a screenplay with a similar historical setting.

Anyway, the writing is superb, of course, because Tom Stoppard is a co-author.

Without giving it away, I'll say that the final shipwreck sequence is fabulous.

I like the open-endedness of not knowing if Shakespeare is describing the end of his beloved Viola, or the beginning of character he creates based on her. The DVD includes an alternative ending that's much more direct about the fate of Viola, and although I loved seeing it, I think the director made the right choice with the vaguer ending he used.

One of the last lines is this (spoken by Shakespeare as he begins the new play):

"My story starts at sea . . . a perilous voyage to an unknown land . . . a shipwreck . . . the wild waters roar and heave . . . the brave vessel is dashed all to pieces, and all the helpless souls within her drowned . . . all save one . . . a lady . . . whose soul is greater than the ocean . . . and her spirit stronger than the sea's embrace. . . ."

I particularly identify with the last phrase, "a lady . . . whose soul is greater than the ocean . . . and her spirit stronger than the sea's embrace. . . ."

But I'd be better off if I didn't.

I'd be much better off if I were just a conventional person, a bland and boring person.

Just as Viola would have been better off if she'd been more conventional.

No comments: